Raspberry Torte

Raspberry-Torte-006
This is a sweet treat -- meringue shell with
whipped cream and raspberry Danish Dessert.

6 egg whites
2 t vanilla
2 t baking powder
2 c sugar
1 c crushed soda crackers (no kidding)
1 c chopped nuts

Whipped cream:
1 1/2 c whipping cream
1 1/2 t vanilla
6 T sugar

1 box Junket Danish Dessert - raspberry flavor, prepared according to package directions using 2 C water.  If you add berries, make it with 1 3/4 C water.

Preheat oven to 350º. Grease 9x13 pan - I use Pam. Whip egg whites to stiff peaks then add vanilla and baking powder. Slowly add sugar. Fold in crackers and nuts. Spread in pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cool overnight. Top with whipped cream and Danish Dessert. (See box above. If you've never made it, you'll wonder why after you see how easy and tasty it is. You can add 2-3 cups of fresh or frozen berries to make this dessert even better. I like the frozen tri-berry mix from Costco.)

Hint: There's another recipe for this dessert floating around the Internet. The ingredients vary by adding an extra cup of cracker crumbs and substituting 1/2 t cream of tartar for the baking powder. You know the old adage, "If it's not broken, don't fix it?" I tried that recipe last night and it wasn't nearly as good.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting that! I remember when you made it for us as kids. A friend brought something similar to a potluck, but I didn't get the recipe. Now I can make it for my kids. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - sounds delicious! We'll definitely have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a delicious recipe. The directions say to add the sugar to the crust, but I don't see any sugar in the crust ingredients. How much should I use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bizarre, Pattie. I think the blog fairies have fiddled with this recipe. I'm out of town for 3 more days, but when I return I'll look. As I recall, it's 1 C. Thanks for taking the time to let me know. Diane

    ReplyDelete