Broccoli, Ham & Cheese Soup

Broccoli-Ham-Cheese-Soup-00

The soup goes great with Gary Taubes new book, “Why We Get Fat, And What To Do About It”.  Both the soup and the book are good for you.  Great use for a leftover ham bone from a spiral cut ham that had been frozen since Christmas.  (This site is not endorsed by Gary Taubes.  His books, however, are endorsed by me.)

1 ham bone with about 1 1/2 c ham attached
2 quarts water

1 large onion, chopped
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp course ground black pepper
3-4 c fresh broccoli
1 qt heavy cream
2 c milk
12 oz shredded cheddar cheese – room termperature

Boil ham bone in water in a soup pot for 3 hours.  Remove ham reserving liquid.  Pull ham from the bone and cut into bite-sized pieces.  Return to the pot with the liquid.  Add onion, mustard, pepper and broccoli then cook on medium heat until tender.  Add cream and milk then heat until steaming, stirring constantly.  Add cheese and continue stirring until cheese has melted into the soup.  (The cheese at room temperature will melt into the soup more evenly.)

13 comments:

  1. Love the recipe - just what I was looking for. We eat 3-4 hams a year and I am always looking for low carb ways of using the leftover bones. I did smoke the ham bone first (just because I can) and that added a deep, rich wonderful smokiness to the soup.

    I did have trouble with the cheese I used settling into hard chewy clumps instead of integrating with the rest of the soup. I think this was because of the pre-shredded cheddar cheese I used. I am going to try again, using a block of cheddar that I shred myself and see if that helps.

    Even with the cheese issues, this was a delicious soup and I plan to make it again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a cheddar I had shredded myself and had no issues. Perhaps if you let yours come to room temperature and add it slowly. Let me know how that works for you.

      Delete
  2. Just made this soup for dinner and it was very good. Glad I have plenty leftovers for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. That reminds me -- I have a frozen ham bone that needs to turn into soup!!!

      Delete
  3. a quart of heavy cream? Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful recipe...we have made this three times in the last year and our entire family enjoys it, including a daughter who will not eat broccoli. Thank you for a great low carb option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy you like it. Low-carbing has opened a whole new world of recipes for our family.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic soup!! Took me most of the day to make, but it was worth it!! My family loved it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, John. I'm the soup queen in our family and I love finding and creating new soup recipes. Try the green chile enchilada soup. It's fab and doesn't require a day's worth of attention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter has recently become a vegetarian and asked if I could make a meatless version of this soup which she loved when I made it with ham. I decided to experiment. I eliminated the ham, substituted vegetable stock for water and added salt. The result was delicious and every bit as tasty and satisfying as the original. Happy that I was able to keep this soup on our dinner menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love creativity! Congratulations on your variation.

      Delete